Work Out

There was a time when I would go to the gym 3 – 5 days a week. I joined many of my friends and we would go and work out on weights, run around a rubber track, do yoga, pass a medicine ball back and forth, do the exercise class etc. 

I was searching for ways to get in shape with good results at first and then my body fell into a conundrum. It seemed that no matter what I did, I could not get to where I wanted to be. I decided to get a fitness trainer, started meal plans, work out plans etc. Obviously, my financial demands were increasing as well. Again, months went by with an initial spike of improvement and then the flat line.

It seemed that no matter what I tried in the work out world, I just could not get my body to where I wanted. The workouts were becoming routine and the food I was eating was just a twist on the same food and my goals for weight and muscle to fat appeared to be out of reach.

I decided it was time to do a radical change. One Saturday, I decided to write down all the activities I like to do: water sports, running in the forests, tennis, etc. I started to categorize the type of activities like my fitness instructor did as per the facility. Then I started to create a plan involving the activities as per their type. I decided to create my meal plan: heavy in carbs for aerobic, light in carbs for anaerobic. I discovered the more activities I engaged the better the results. I started to see big changes and quickly. Within 4 months I bypassed my most successful milestones. Within 1 year I achieved my goals and have not looked back at the gym since.

I found I had more time and discovered more activities that I would if I stayed at the gym. Some good examples were wheel chair rugby, jai alai, paddle ball, and obviously powered surfing. I also discovered I am outside more than I was in the past, and my experiences have formed interesting discussions with many people that, again, I would not have if I stayed in a gym.

Please don’t misunderstand I am not suggesting we “tear-down the church”, what I am saying is maybe the answers are in front of us and have been there for generations. “Get out there and have fun, try new things”, don’t worry if at 1st you are not a pro the people around you will help if you ask nicely”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring: How I long for Spring

e-Foils/Propeller Driven Surfboards are Illegal in Canada